Pros and Cons of Coupon Clipping
Each individual has to decide whether it is worth your time and effort to plan and use coupons. These are some of the highlighted points in regards to coupon clipping.
Pro's of clipping coupons:
- If the product is something you use anyway. This is a big one because it is easy to get carried away when you are clipping away. If you do not eat yogurt from a tube, do not clip that coupon!
- If the product is something you planned on trying anyway. Using a coupon is the best way to go in this instance. If it is something new on the market, chances are there is a coupon for it, or there will be one soon enough.
- Can the product be replaced for something you normally use? This can save you money, if you keep an eye on items like this. Little savings really do add up. Think about all the little things you grab at Wal-mart that seem so cheap. That is why we all spend more there than any other store!
- Also, keep a look out for when an item goes on sale at the store and try to combine that with a coupon. Only if it is something you would use anyway, of course.
Con's of clipping coupons:
- Purchasing many different items just because you have a coupon will not save you money.
- If the store brand version of that item is cheaper than the one you have a coupon for, even with the coupon.
- Internet coupons can be a waste of time, especially recently. Many stores are no longer accepting these because they are often fraudulent.
- If you buy the newspaper only for the coupons it is possible you are wasting more money than you end up saving with the coupons.
The most important thing is to pay attention while you shop. Try to plan your meals around your local grocery store's weekly sales. Buy store brands. Stock up on things that will not go bad that you know you will use if there is a great sale. These things alone can save you a substantial amount of money on your weekly grocery bill.